Monday, March 30, 2015

Day 10: Beach Walk

Today was the first day we practiced whistle recall outside, playing the "Drop the Treat and Run Like Crazy" game. We have done this inside but not outside in the yard. This is the beginning of conditioning a solid response to the whistle in distracting conditions, using movement to make the recall more exciting and fun. As with every other step, it is critical to blow the whistle only when you are sure to get a positive response.  Sage did very well, and we kept it short to be sure she didn't lose interest and ignore the whistle.

Sage is a really good dog, but sometimes her brain is full of other things - sights, sounds smells, that she is not familiar with. Then she acts temporarily as though she hasn't learned a thing. This is not true - she is just so absorbed (and sometimes a tad anxious) that she can't focus and respond. Both for recall and leash walking, it is important to bear this in mind and not ask more of her than she is able to do while she is in the process of learning.

This was the main thrust of her leash walking lesson today. We drove into Yachats, and I parked at one end of town, and then walked her all over town and to the State Park. Because she was distracted when we first got out of the car, I gave her time to adjust to her new surroundings, and do some sniffing (with me keeping the leash loose by standing close to her and moving with her as she sniffed). I think this is also a respectful thing to do for a dog. In an interesting new area we would want to look around, not be marched off without having a chance to see anything. When possible, I like to afford dogs the same kind of opportunity (only the olfactory version) before making them focus on a leash walking task.

Once Sage oriented back to me, I knew she was ready to work.  "Let's Go!" - it was time to practice leash walking. From then until I next gave her the "Go Sniff" cue, she had to walk next to me keeping the leash loose.  If she went a head even a little, we turned right or left or went back the way we came, but we never went forward with the leash tight.

She did really well after about 5 minutes adjustment, and after we had walked for a while, I took her down to the beach at the State Park for some free sniffing and beach recall practice. The tide was low so it was safe to climb on the driftwood and rocks. She had a great time!

We also practiced Sit, Stay, and Say Hi to some adults and a little boy with curly blond hair just like Sage!

I dream of seagulls

I would so love to chase you!
This rocks!


I like beach!


 The beach is enclosed by cliffs and there was no-one around so Sage practiced recall off-leash, after testing her with the leash dragging. She came every time, though when she was deeply engaged in sniffing something new, she was not quite at the point of coming immediately. When she is physically active (running around and even playing with other dogs) even quite far away, her recall is better than when she is  mentally absorbed, but closer.  So we practiced that quite a bit, and I made a note to work on this further.
Sage, Come!
Here I come, good as gold!
 Next we wandered over to some huge tree trunks that had washed up in previous storms. Sage practiced Sit Stay in unusual circumstances.
I really don't want to do this
Just tell me one thing? WHY do I have to Stand/Stay on a log?
 Sage's Sit was good but we had to repeat the Stay a few times till she got that down. The more places she practices all her basics, the more reliable they become!


Of course, when you go to the beach, you have to take a few selfies ...




 The Yachats River estuary is so beautiful on a sunny spring day!  We sat and watched the ocean for a while.

Eventually, we walked  back to town and did more training in car parks, and on the streets, till we were both tired. By this time Sage was walking really well,  and I was hardly having to remind her to stay by me. The leash was loose and she walked right by my side.

I had to buy a few things from the store, so she practiced spending some brief alone time in the crate (not her favorite thing, for sure - she panted a bit but was Ok, and settled quickly when I returned).

We are having a little lighter day today as the weekend was so full on and we are tired! Sage is fast asleep beside me, happily dreaming of seagulls perhaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment